Tuesday 20 January 2015

A Spot of Runch in Battersea Park

Tuesday 20th January
Run #20
5k Battersea Park Lunchtime Run

Tuesday this week was always going to be a tricky one, as I had arranged to meet a friend direct from work with plans that would take up the rest of the evening, giving no time for post-work running. So the night before I had gathered all my stuff together to take to the office for my first run at lunch. Or in the terminology of the fabulous and inspirational @Susie_Chan '#runch'

I was, for some reason, apprehensive about this one. Mostly because I wasn't sure I could work all the logistics (changing, running, showering, managing to look office-presentable) into an hour and running late for anything stresses me out. So the second 13:30 rolled round I dashed to the loo and changed in super-quick time. Desk to pavement in 7 minutes.

It was, fortuitously, probably the most beautiful day of winter so far and the kind of day that makes me deliriously happy to live in a country with seasons. It had been hella cold when I'd left the house at half 6 and I wasn't sure if the mercury would have made it out of the sub-zero zone. But it was one of those rare winter days when, rather than bright white and watery the sun was bright warm and springy. Very unseasonably you could feel a bit of heat where the sunlight hit your face and threw the Thames into a million sparkles. There wasn't a cloud and the air was still crispy chilly but I was the perfect mix of warmed up and cooled down the entire run.

Given that time was at the forefront of my mind I elected to head over to Battersea Park: almost exactly a k from the office, find a 3k route around there and then the k back for a 5k that should fit nicely into the lunch-hour, which is exactly what I did. The Park was buzzing with people - dog walkers mostly - and I got to see dogs in all shapes and sizes, as well as other runners out for their runch.

What was quite obvious was that there did seem to be a 'type' of runch-er. Almost to a man (I didn't see any other ladies) they were the guys you see at the front of cross country races: singlets, short shorts, compression socks, maybe sleeves too, and a steely determined run style that looks simultaneously both whippet quick and speed-walk nonchalant. Needless to say I was overtaken a lot, and in fact lapped on my little loop, not that I was worried at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed this run. Being someone who routinely works through lunch, or grabs a quick soup at Pret or just snacks all day at their desk, being out 'deliberately' in my lunch hour came with something of an illicit thrill - the closest thing I could liken it to is being sent on an errand by a teacher and being out of the classroom in school time. Which probably says something about both my conscientiousness and immaturity. But we won't dwell on that…


As it was, I would have made it back to my desk neatly within the hour, if I hadn't had to queue for the work shower. Which goes to show you can't plan everything. But all in all, a great first runch.

No comments:

Post a Comment