Wednesday 7 January 2015

Backpack Run? Yeah, Why Not

Wednesday 7th January
Run #7
4.5k Victoria-Clapham #runcommute

I obviously knew I'd have to run today (duh). But what I wasn't so sure of was where it would fit in, I had plans to meet up with T: a great friend, after work and stay over at hers in Clapham South after a spin class. So, pondering my options the night before I briefly considered setting my alarm early and running first thing. Lying in bed about to set said alarm, I quickly ruled that out!

So instead, when packing my overnight stuff I popped in a variety of kit with the thought that, instead of 1st thing, I'd be hyper-efficient and fit an easy run into my lunch hour (a 'runch' if you will). But, typical to a normal work day, come 15:00 I still hadn't found time to take a lunch.

In the end, it seemed the optimal plan was, after work, to run to Clapham to meet T. Having lived in Clapham once upon a time I know the route to the Common pretty well and only needed to add a street or two to get to the High Street station.

Getting ready after work felt odd; I was doing a weekly Thursday runcommute in the Summer months but not really kept it up since the clocks had changed (ah, fair weather runner that I am!) so getting my kit on and mentally running through what to leave at the office and what to try to cram into my pack was quite fun.

Once out, I was pretty keen to get cracking, with my new 'it's the run, not the time' mentality in the forefront of my mind. But, I'll tell you, I had NOT accounted for the wild left-right-left pendular swing of running in a weighty backpack. It took me a good while to get my 'stride' right but once I had, I felt like I wasn't looking too wide-stepping, though probably still running like a duck.

The whole run I was still pretty aware of the fact that, having tightened the straps of my pack as short as possible to pull it tight to my back, the top of the straps had tightened a band across the back of my neck. A strange thing to be aware of for sure and no doubt adding a comedy tortoise neck posture to my duck waddle.

I did enjoy the majority of this run, though it took quite a bit of mental reminding: that this is a Run Streak, not a PB project, that I was running with a pack, that it wasn't a race...

After passing Old Town I veered left to head towards High Street, through some very pretty streets. It's that great time of year for the curious runner where it's dark enough to put your lights on but not late enough to close curtains. So I distracted myself shamelessly nosey-ing at some enviable furnishings.

Somewhere around 4k I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere and, rather than coming out onto a main road I seemed to be in an estate cul de sac. Running past a corner shop I passed a parked car that a dude leaned out of the window of and, and in an upbeat and cheerful demeanour encouraged me to "go run get some gurrl"

Having totally no idea what this means, But not keen to have to run past again to find out, I found myself cutting through many a random alley and bin store. Not ideal! But right when I thought I might actually be destined to run the rat maze of labyrinthine bin alleys for ever, I suddenly popped out on High Street nowhere near where I thought I was, and met up with T no worries.

Given that we'd neglected to pre-book spin and it was full, I was doubly happy to have ticked off today's run. Even if my shoulders were killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment