Tuesday 27 January 2015

'Floating Up to Some Strides (Pah Ha Ha)

Tuesday 27th January
Run #27
6 Riverside Ks with 4 x 100m Strides

M, deep in the midst of his brutal P&D marathon training schedule has said more than once that my Run Streak could do with more ‘structure’. The idea of just waffling along each evening for a few K along unplanned routes at whatever speeds it feels like my body wants jars against his every spreadsheet run log.

So, taking a leaf from M’s run of the day the plan was to add in some strides to this evening’s run. Basically run the flat riverside route I’ve run loads of times, but step the last 100m of every K up to a sprint.

Another still and fairly mild night set the scene for a pretty manageable run. Setting the initial pace was fine but my Garmin light only staying on for a couple of seconds made working out when the .90 rolled round each K to kick in the sprint – and more importantly when I could slow back down! - a bit of a moveable feast.

It was only once I got back that M clarified that the idea is to build into the top pace over the preceding 70m and the pace increase should be ‘like floating up to a controlled stride’. Needless to say my run was not this graceful arc of speed change and more a frenetic hurtle forward for the last 100 and a gasping fish-out-of-water heaving for the following half k at least, trying to get my breath back sufficiently to do it again on the next one.

I felt pretty pleased with the efforts though, as unrefined as they were. But, truth be known, I’m just not sure at this point that I feel the need to be doing ‘more’ than just running every day.

But, while I decide, I am at least going to sort out the light on my Garmin

No comments:

Post a Comment