Sunday 11 January 2015

The Cosmoverse Says: Never Give Up

Sunday 11th January
Run #11
10 Miler (16.1k) Richmond Park Tamsin Trail

Running every day, one of the things that has taken a back seat has been distance. Knowing I won't get a rest day has, I'll be honest, put me off going for much longer than a 5k any day. But, deciding I could go as slow as I wanted, and with M planning on being out for a good 2 hour+ long run I was in the mind to get out and get some more ks under my feet and under my belt.

Well, what a day for a run! The air was cold, the sun was warm and the sky was a cloud-clear cerulean. I elected for long legs, long sleeves single layer and, despite looking something like a scuba diver or an otter in my top-to-toe skintight black for once, I think I nailed the best kit choice for the day never being too hot, cold or uncomfortable in and out of the shade or wind.

Getting going from cold, on a run where I know I'll need to keep it up a fair while is never easy. But within the first k another runner, running in the opposite direction passed me wearing a neon green T-shirt with 'Never Give Up' in big letters across the chest. "OK, point taken" I thought, smiling to myself. Funnily enough, round about the 4k, another runner ran past me with the same T-shirt on. Didn't give it much thought... Until I saw it for a 3rd time around 8k. I started to think maybe the Universe was trying to tell me something.

As the route tracked over the parkrun route and I hit the windy stretch from yesterday (still windy but, thankfully, slightly less so than yesterday) there was a race being packed away and I did wonder if 'Never Give Up' might be a run shirt. But then noticed the race team were from Nice Work (who do a 10k Capital Runners run series that takes in the Park) and I knew it wasn't one of theirs. 2 more 'Never Give Up' T-shirts passed me before I exited the Park at 14k. I'm willing to concede at least one or two may have been the same guys running the opposite loop to me, and considerably faster. But I prefer to think it's provenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment