Friday 9 January 2015

Hulk Hands and the Christmas Tree Armageddon

Friday January 9th
Run #9
Richmond Riverside 5k

A negative side effect of the last 2 runs was that, due to not thinking things through, I had run both in the gym trainers I'd packed for spinning in. They are funky as hell (neon orange and monochrome leopard print Adidas) but totally unstructured. Now I am one of the world's worst over-pronators. I have been known to reduce Sweatshop personnel to near-tears with their video analysis of me running barefoot (all hobbit flat-feet and collapsing ankles). I am one of the lucky few that get to wear the kind of running trainers that are akin to strapping brick-like compressed foam wedges to your feet. Stability is an understatement. So 2 consecutive days of running in minimal shoes has really taken its toll on my calves, soleus specifically, which are now pinging me in the back of the legs like elastic bands with every step.

Despite this I knew I'd feel good on today's run. I could just sort of tell during the day that I wasn't dreading it. I even felt good turning down a last minute invite to Friday drinks so I could run instead: not a twinge of FOMO. Given that it seemed warm but pretty darn windy I opted for long legs and a vest with my birthday run jacket on top. I love this jacket, for its jewel coloured butterfly wing print and neon zip-off sleeves, but not had much chance to wear it: It's not fully waterproof so not really a rain jacket. But too much like a sweat suit for warm weather. I was thinking it might be just the thing for cool and windy.

I also made sure I took my light. I always wear a light when running in the dark. Richmond had a considerable population of nocturnal runners, cyclists and dog walkers that I am like as not going to run straight into if I don't give them ample opportunity to avoid me. Hence the light. A brilliant green, since I figured white or red could have me confused for a cyclist at distance. The challenge is often where to clip it. Given that I had my jacket half unzipped I clipped it to the front of my vest. An amusing side effect of this that kept me entertained for a while was the way it illuminated my hands in an eerie Incredible Hulk green each time they swung forward. And the run provided plenty of olfactory deliciousness - the pavements are currently crammed with naked dead Christmas trees, out for recycling collection. It may look like a Christmas tree Armageddon but it smells like running in a pine forest. Heaven.

I wasn't planning on doing 5k. Given my calf pain I was planning on doing my minimum mile at most. But it felt good and I decided to instead just go really slow. M is doing the P&D marathon training plan, which is super hardcore and k heavy - not my bag! But it talks about the recovery runs being done at a slow enough pace to store energy, not use it up. I kept this at the front of my mind and told myself I wasn't going to go any faster than I could run while breathing through my nose. And that's what I did, right up to finishing on the uphill toward home.

By the time I arrived the wind had gone from 'blustery' on my run to downright gale force, with the pavement Christmas trees tripping down the road like massive tumbleweeds from some weird Christmas Western.

Hoping it dies down before parkrun tomorrow: social media is full of parkruns gearing up for a possible last minute cancellation if running isn't safe enough. With fingers crossed it's off to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment