Monday 19 January 2015

How NOT To Warm Up for HIIT

Monday 19th January
Run #19
Treadmill 2k with mile PB

I'd had Monday in mind for a short pre-gym treadmill run since before Sunday became 'the long run that wasn't'. So I planned this one to be more of the warm-up variety. Half a k of running along at my comfortable pace and I decided I'd do my next mile as a pyramid. Only I only ended up going up one side of my pyramid and didn't quite get to the down…

Increased my kph by 1 every minute, until I hit 14.5kph for the last 90 sec. Now people that can run fast on a treadmill (M has reached the point he can't do sprints or TABATA on a treadmill because the standard gym ones 'don't go up high enough'. Seriously) amaze me. I am not even close to that: typical gym treadmills will go up to 20kph, but as soon as I get to my flat out sprint speed I feel like I may quite easily kick myself in the back of the head with my whirling heels and have to pay 100% attention just to keep upright. In my mind I feel I look like a cross between roadrunner (without the happy-go-lucky calm) and the preceding few seconds in those viral videos of people face-planting treadmills in slow motion on YouTube.

But, concentrating like a bitch, I managed to keep my 14.5 to the end of my mile. Mile time was 8:06 - over a minute off the last one I did, and though setting a new mile PB had not been the plan initially, I was pretty pleased with that. Pleased that is until the HIIT class I'd gone to the gym for started and I realised that I'd left all my energy on the treadmill. Turns out legs like jelly are not conducive to weighed squats and lunges.


Whoda thunk it hey?

No comments:

Post a Comment