Sunday 8 February 2015

Fancy Pants & Doggy Differences

Sunday 8th February
Run #39
16.1k (10 Mile) Teddington / Kew Riverside

M gets a kick out of my inability to stop shopping for running kit. The way I see it, if it's buying clothes for exercise it's legitimised shopping, and not just 'buying myself more clothes' 'cause exercise is good for you, right? Anyway this essentially means I have far more running kit that I need, with no signs of stopping the purchasing any time soon.

This doesn't make me a faster or better runner. While it might make me more comfortable on the run it's largely, as M has labelled me more than once, a case of 'all the gear, no idea'. But I am happy to put my hands up and say, yes, I get a kick out of matching my socks to my running vest. And yes, I will feel better heading out for a run when the zips on my jacket clash pleasingly with my gloves. Whatever gets you out there, right?

Today's run was the maiden voyage of some new full length Nike run pants. Thick almost-compression-tights-but-not, they have fantastic barcode of reflective stripes down the outer half of each leg. (Yes, these photos are the model wearing them, not me. Trust me, this is for the best)

I wasn't sure, after the weather took an unseasonable turn for the milder today, if they were going to end up being too warm. But my legs rarely overheat me in the way that my top choices do and these were fine. They'll be perfect for an evening run commute I reckon so I think I'll try and work one of those into next week.



 At about the 6k mark I passed a woman running in the opposite direction wearing the same leggings. Her cheery holler of "nice pants" and my "nice pants!" reply had me still grinning half a k later. 

This was the first run I'd taken along the riverside this winter but I felt I wanted a change from the familiarity (and hills) of Richmond Park. It was muddy but a lot firmer underfoot than I was expecting. I was happy to be in my trails but did a lot less slip-sliding than the last few trips round the Park.

One thing I did notice was the distinct difference in dogs: there is always a great variety of dogs being walked around Richmond Park - one of my favourite things about running there - but on the whole there is a majority lean towards golden retrievers and Labradors, collies and the russet Hungarian Vizslas. Being walked along the riverside today there were a lot of racing dogs: greyhounds and whippets, mostly wrapped up in coats, and all-black spaniels. There were grey weimaraners and, oddly, 3 men in army fatigues, with Jack Russels. Not the same fatigues (khaki vs desert, head-to-toe or just trousers) so not the same guys. There must have been some kind of memo go out to Jack Russel owners today.

I don't know if it was the flat route, extra carbs (sweet potato wedges for yesterday's supper), the drinking lots of water (or just not drinking any wine!) or the time I took to work the knots out of my PF last night. Or maybe just the Spring-y sunshine and bluebird skies. But overall this one was a really great run and I clocked my PB over 10 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment