Saturday 7 February 2015

parkrun: Not a PB. Just.


Saturday 7th February
Run #38
Richmond parkrun

We'd originally chatted around the idea of running over to Kingston for parkrun today. But i was out Friday night and, when I rolled in at midnight and quizzed a catatonic M it seemed like the easier plan would be to just set the regular alarm and keep it local. 

Arriving 10 minutes to 9am meant it was yet to get busy - In contract to Longrun meadow where turning up with 45 minutes to spare seems to be the norm, Richmondites never seem to get to parkrun with anything more than minutes to spare. Arrive too soon and you'd be forgiven for thinking it might have been cancelled. But wait until 08:50 or even :55 and suddenly people arrive from every direction until up to 400 people are gathered ready to go. 


One thing I do like about the winter months is that they do seem to bring out the more colourful attire. Even when not twilight running people's cold weather gear more often offers splashes of highligher pen hues and neon brights. 


This parkrun was one that M decided to run with me and I let him dictate the pace, electing not to look at my watch. It felt hard. But not in the way that pushing your top pace feels, more in that way that your usual steady pace feels when you're tired, rundown or hungover. The major difference I noticed when our times were uploaded later was how much more even the splits were. When I pace my own parkrun I always go out too fast, leg it down the big hill to try and buy as much time as I can then die between 4 and 5k. Turns out today was the quickest I've ever done the 4th k with far more even splits. 

Once we got home M turned and asked: "what was your previous Richmond parkrun PB?"
"Dunno" I replied, "but at least 15 sec faster than we did today I'm sure"
"No, 4 seconds faster than you did today" was the response.

Though today felt a bit tough, it certainly didn't feel like pushing the pace into PB territory. Which really does suggest I should take the time to find out my PB before I run. Just in case I'm that close to hitting it again. Missing out by seconds is just unnecessary. And dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment