Tuesday 24 February 2015

The Underground, Overground: Windmilling Free

Tuesday 24th February
Run #55
6k 5 Tube Stop Loop Round Knightsbridge & Belgravia

Continuing on my quest to keep my runchs interesting I devised a loop for today's run that follows the most direct route between the 5 London Underground stops closest to my office. GoogleMaps suggested I should be able to achieve this in about 5.7k so I saved the route to my phone and, because there is part of me that is old school and just finds it easier - scribbled the main roads in order on a post-it and tucked it into my sleeve pocket.
By the nature of demarking my route with tube stations I knew I had set myself up for people congestion, so I was prepared for a lot of duck-and-weave on this run and didn't mind. Straight out the door I felt light on my feet and buoyant in my step. I felt like a boxer dancing around the trundle suitcases of Victoria as I headed towards St James's Park tube. I could tell my pace between crowds was good but I paid little attention to my Garmin other than to stop it at road crossings or when the tourist throngs became full on stationary knots to unravel my way through.

My first mistake was to take the cut through I know well down the St James's Park tube. While this got me to the back exit OK, I was off my map and none of the roads were on my post-it, so I doubled back - basically round the block - to get back on track at the front of the tube station.

With fewer people now I was off the main road, I windmilled along, past the Ministry of Justice and the next door barracks, finding myself back in front of Buckingham Palace for the second time this week. 

Then off through Green Park. Constitution Hill seemed so much shorter than when I last ran in this Park: intervals last Summer. In fact, the whole Park seemed smaller and I was out at the Bomber Command Airmen and on to Hyde Park corner before I knew it. 


I can't lie, often enforced waiting at pedestrian crossings is a pleasure and relief that I take no guilt in and usually relish. But today I could feel myself fidgeting and jumping on the spot waiting for the green man, eager to be off.  

The slowest part of this run was the section round Hyde Park Corner tube. Partly because I got all turned around and couldn't quite work out which side of the road I needed to be on: cue several unnecessary runs under the underpass, popping up like a meerkat only to scurry back to the other side in indecision. Having chosen the side of the road I thought I needed to continue down, within 500m I met a police blockade that had closed the entire walkway. Conscious of losing time and keen to be underway again it was back under the road and on down Knightsbridge.

The strip of pavement down to Knightsbridge tube isn't particularly wide and I was bobbing and weaving like a rubber duck in a rapid, equally eager not to slow any more than I had to or take out any unsuspecting shopper. But over the road at the tube station and I was onto Sloane Street which is considerably wider and quieter. Like finally getting a fast car out of traffic and on to the autobahn I could feel my pace pick up. It was joyous to feel my legs circling under me and the spring in my step propelling me forward. I so very very rarely get this feeling that it was a struggle to rein it in. But a little voice in the back of my mind was trying to remind me that it's front-foot running that aggravates plantar fasciitis and that I needed to get my heels down.

All too quickly I was at Sloane Square tube and the number of roads to cross and increase in traffic necessitated slowing and stops again. Knowing I had little time to spare as this loop was closer to 6k than my usual 5 that fits, along with the showering and changing, neatly into a lunch hour I abandoned my post-it for the route I knew and got back to the office feeling elated and refreshed, if a little more tired than usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment