Friday 27 February 2015

Typical Friday Night: Mates, Pints, Drunken Running...

Friday 27th February
Run #58
2k Drunken City Run

It was inevitable, I think, that in being someone that likes a drink and someone attempting a Streak, sooner or later there'd be a drunken run in there somewhere. Not surprising either that it was a Friday night.

After another week much like the other weeks of late I was looking forward to getting out of the office and getting to the bar. I hadn't done a runch today. To be honest, I really had thought I'd get home, slot in the couple of recovery k for today, then maybe pop to the local or maybe even a glass of vino at home. But an invite to meet M and his friends in a bar near St Paul's seemed like a much better way to start the weekend. The first pint went down like a dream, swiftly followed by the second.

At this point I honestly still thought I'd run when I got home. But some less-than-sober cajoling from M to 'get it out the way now' I found myself getting up from our table, squeezing between packed tables of City workers letting go of the work week, and out onto Cheapside.

On account of the PF I've been wearing my runners to work; the most arch supporting shoes I have so, feet-wise I was good to go. I can't pretend I looked like a typical runner though, as I paced down towards Holborn Viaduct in black leggings a grey marl slouch off the shoulder sweater and leather shorts. I half thought, in my less than half-sober brain, that maybe I'd pass as a normal pedestrian running for a bus, or back to the office for something I'd forgotten. The slightly less drunk half of my brain didn't care at all that that was pretty much total BS.

More than once when I had to cross a road I reached down to stop my Garmin only to encounter my heavy rose gold Marc Jacobs. Far from a GPS accurate timepiece. In actual fact, the banging around of my watch on the bones of my wrist was the least comfortable aspect of my less than typical attire.

Not having a clue on distance or speed I decided to run 13 minutes, which should cover at least my requisite 2k with contingency, without overdoing it. Pacing out through the City at 10pm, pretty squiffy, was exhilarating and crazy fun. I paused on Holborn Viaduct: somewhere I'd never been before and marvelled drunkenly at how pretty all the lights were, before looping round the block and back past Bow Lane and towards the Cathedral.

To give an idea of the general context of the night, I got back to the table in the pub to find another drink waiting for me and some ribbing on how long I'd taken in the loo. A typical girl apparently.

Not so typical tonight.

The slightly surreal experience of running drunk through the City is perfectly summed up by this fantastic stop motion video by the incredibly talented videographer Anatoleya:



No comments:

Post a Comment