Friday 20 February 2015

Scrunchy Gravel-Love Runch

Friday 20th February
Run #51
5k St James’s Park Runch Loop

This loop that I did for run #40 is a nice runch one I think. Though Battersea park presents so many morer varied options once in the Park, and is almost exactly as far away (1k) in the opposite direction from my office, somehow Buckingham Palace feels closer. Which makes no sense at having, as it does probably more tourists to dodge to get to the Park, and probably as many traffic lights. But why fight perceived effort I figured, so happily steered myself NorthEast up Buckingham Palace Road.

It’s a funny thing, running amongst tourists, and I like it most of the time. But it really did feel like I’d hit a sight-seeing peek time this runchtime and had to sharpen my evasion tactics to not run right over the top of slowly overtaking elderly or erratic direction-changing toddlers.

The same 2 police guards were patrolling the top corner of horseguards parade and both afforded me ‘the head-nod’ in exchange with my cheery wave. I was thinking of omitting the horseguard perimeter from this run when I set out, with vague plans to change my paths slightly around the lake. But as soon as I got there I knew I wanted the scrunchy gravel sound under my feet. It's probably my favourite bit of this whole loop. I wonder if the guards like that sound as much as I do when they’re there doing all their changing.


Just like last time I ran this route, I briefly contemplated a push down the long straight of the Mall towards the Palace. But, just like last time, once glance along it’s considerable length and I veered left and back into the Park and on to the lake path. One day I’ll run the Mall but it somehow feels significant and intimidating enough to warrant a ‘decent effort’. Daft maybe but it is a running route that deserves respect. And this runch was unlikely to provide that. Perhaps I’ll plan in some kind of Mall intervals for the warmer weather. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment