Monday 23 February 2015

Sing-A-Long-A-Therapeutic

Monday 23rd February
Run #54
3.5k Local Loops with Music

Part of me always sees the Monday run after the Sunday LSR as an opportunity to have a bit of a skive. By which I mean, I know I have to run, but the devil on my shoulder is happy to suggest I don't really need to try. Which is a bad attitude, the problematic knock on effect of which is that motivation is hardly likely to be sky rocketing if you've mentally already convinced yourself it doesn't matter.

I knew I was going to keep the run short: I have been trying to, after the long run, mostly to not overload and because my legs are that bit more tired. But I decided today I wanted to try a bit more, Not in terms of run effort, but mental attitude. It might be a short run, and it won't be up on any PB lists but that doesn't mean it's not important. You could argue that getting out for a run on a Monday (nobody's favourite day of the week and when the gym always seems heaving, but the streets are oddly quiet) is in a category of importance all of its own.

So I picked my kit especially for including a) several favourite items and b) a whole lot of unnecessary but personally satisfying colour coordination. To give an idea on what this might look like from the feet up: New Balance 860 V3 (yes, they are a dude's shoe. See run#17) neon yellow cotton trainer socks, Nike full length black running tights, M's royal blue New Balance jacket - neon yellow zips matching the socks - over Black New Balance sports bra. And an Adidas peak in canary yellow with a blue edge.

I also decided, on the spur of the attitude reassessment, to take my iPod. When I graduated off Couch to 5k I ran with music every run. I was completely dependent in the way I now am on my Garmin: the battery dies on leaving the house and it's quite possible I might not run at all. Then, the perfect playlist could propel me round a route by taking my mind off how much it hurt and how hard it felt (which was all still pretty new). But, like most people, as my running improved I wanted to be able to hear my breathing. Listen to my body a bit more without a baseline interruption. Listen to the sounds of the Park or the river. So the iPod got used less and less until not at all.

But today I fished it out. Selecting the most up-beat sing-along tunes I could find, on max volume, I popped the buds in my ears and headed out. The route was a mash-up of other round the block routes of late so nothing inspiring. Not so the music mash-up which had me singing out loud to the empty streets and earning a half grin / half grimace from a lone dog walker.

The pace wasn't quick but the breath control required for singing while running, even at a reduced pace was a new challenge and more tiring than you'd think! But the time flew by, even if I didn't and for the mental boost and enjoyment it'd provided I was really pleased I'd taken the iPod out on my run. That and it's neon yellow cord matches my zips. Natch.


No comments:

Post a Comment