Wednesday 25 February 2015

No Good Run Goes Unpunished

Wednesday 25th February
Run #56
2.5k Round the Block Runch 

In the grand scheme of Universal cosmic debt and 'what goes up must come down' the first foot on the floor out of bed this morning was like stepping on an upturned power plug. Stiff ankles, tight calves and the return of the shooting heel pain and instep ache are, it seems, the price I'm paying for not listening to the angel on my shoulder about the ill-advised carefree sprinting yesterday. With a heavy heart I have to admit that too much forefoot running of late on my inherently floppy fallen arched hobbit feet is exacerbating the PF tha seems to not have come and gone as I'd hoped.

Typically for plantar fasciitis is a peak of stiffness and pain first thing in the morning, as the fascia has tightened overnight. Usually as everything gets more warmed up through the day the discomfort eases, giving a false sense of security on a run as it feel better the further you go and the warmer you get. So I was naturally wary as the morning at work went on and I was still very aware of my right foot every time I got up from my desk.

Nevertheless, I headed out for a runch, with an aim to keep it so slow and short that it would be as close to resting as a run could get. It takes so much focus and discipline to go super slow I find. It takes constant mental remindings, as my patterns slip back to my 'comfort pace', to hold it back. I tried for a little loop across a pretty square in Belgravia with some galleries I love to nosy in the window of, and then up past the Lister Hospital and back round to work.

Even keeping the pace steady and running a nearly flat route I wasn't sure I was holding back enough. The focal spot of pain on the medial edge of my heel and corresponding arch-ache dulled off as expected, but in response was an unexpected congested feeling in both calves. Like all the blood that was feeding those muscles was rushing there to deposit all the lovely oxygen but then Just. Not. Leaving. Stopping to stretch this out was a no-no as stopping gave an instant pain in both lower legs like the flood of feeling back into an arm you'd fallen asleep on. Which forced me to walk off the run for a good while before I could stretch.

All the conventional wisdom says the cure for PF is REST. Honest to goodness just NOT running. But I am not ready to throw in the towel on the Streak just yet. Which probably makes me stupid. But I'm hopeful that I can listen to my body enough to know when stupidity becomes f*ing idiocy and stop before then.

In the meantime I am going to find out as much as I can about what I should be doing to minimise the impact of continuing to run, albeit the bare minimum and rehabbing to recovery at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment