Saturday 28 February 2015

What Runs Down Must Walk Up?

Saturday 28th February
Run #59
3k Round Richmond Loop

I'd told myself that, this week, I'd do the minimal each day to keep up the Streak. Earlier in the week I had sort of thought that by the time Saturday rolled round I might squeeze in parkrun… maybe go reeeeally slow? Concentrate on keep my heels down? Maybe walk the hills?? But by Thursday I knew in my heart that, if I seriously want to try and rehab an injury while still running I need the discipline to not run if the distance is too far or the demand too high. So on Friday I made peace with not parkrunning this week and added another week to my mental 'T-shirt tally'.

To cement my resolve I had an extra couple of pints on Friday night, therefore ensuring the hangover that would make staying in bed seem infinitely preferable. It did also occur to me that if my Streak days were all parkruns I'd have had a 50 T-shirt on my back for over a week now. Which is pretty crazy to me since I'm still 8 away from my actual 50 parkrun T and I've been parkrunning what feels like almost every week for over a year. Emphasis on the 'feels like' rather than the 'almost' I guess.

So I dutifully iced and stretched and massaged as per all the PF rehab info I've been devouring, while mooching off the after effects of yesterday's beers then headed out for a cruisy 3k loop round Richmond. Trying to avoid hills in Richmond without following some very dull main roads does seriously limit routes to very small loops and circles, or curious little shuttles along the river edge. So, while it really is still too cold to walk much at beginning or end, I have been running downhill, along the flat until time, then walking back up whichever hill I end up at the bottom of. It feels seriously slack and I'm longing to charge up a hill or two (oh the irony!). But that is a fast-lane to arch agony so am holding back. I keep reminding myself of all the hills I've ever had to run up that I seriously didn't want to and counting my blessings at the legitimate excuse not to now.


No comments:

Post a Comment