Friday 13 February 2015

Rain: Unlucky For Some But Not Today

Friday 13th February
Run #44
4k Round Richmond

It didn't take long down the initial hill to realise this run wasn't going to be one to remember. When a downhill that cruisey feels like an effort you kind of know it's not going to be a record breaker run.

But that was OK because I'd planned it to be a short recovery anyway and was far more preoccupied by the weather than noticing how I was feeling on the run. It had been drizzling intermittently and the promise of heavier rain had been made by a check of the Met App. I'd added a rainproof gilet as a afterthought, figuring it a bit too mild for a full rain jacket. A k and a half in I was pleased I had as the drizzle was becoming a little more rain-like.

I'd chosen a loop route towards Richmond that I could curtail if I wanted but I elected to complete the loop: a k longer but less steep. By the time I hit 2k the rain was properly coming down and as I started up Richmond Hill I was rueing that I'd left my peak at home.

But clocking that my feet were still warm and dry and my sleeves the only bit noticeably wet I realised I was really enjoying the rain and the feeling of elation running in it gave. Passing my flat at 3k with it properly pouring now, I added a k loop up to the Park and back. The rain felt invigorating and, far later than I should have, I realised that the whole run, short as it was, had felt hard on account if the skinful of wine I'd consumed last night.

The rain had provided the perfect cure. And maybe worth remembering after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment